Friday, November 2, 2018

FLORENCE

Firenze

Sunday after the huge breakfast offered at the Rome hotels, it was off to the train station for the high speed (250km/hr) train to Firenze.  I tried walking from the train station to my hotel at the Pointe Vecchio because it looked like a 10 minute walk on the map.  What the map didn’t show was the quality of the streets.  Cobblestones.  Interesting to walk on, not for pulling luggage on wheels.  Sunday afternoon was spent walking around the town center.  My god, I didn’t realize so many people could fit in-such a small area.  And its late fall, not exactly the height of the tourist season.  I would hate to be there in the summer when the kids are there.  Lots of “silver hairs” from all over the world.
The lines were pretty long.   1 1/2- 2 hr wait for the Duomo and “The David”.  Didn’t do it. Still,remember it from my previous trip in-1970.  Probably has changed   Did manage to just walk in to the museum di  Vecchio.  The frescos on the ceiling were amazing.  A short walk back to the Hotel Delgi Orafi, my home for the next 2 nights and a glass of Chianti at their rooftop bar.  It began raining again so it was a quick walk to a small osteria and a dish of ravioli.
Monday morning I explored the numerous small shops of leather and visited many cafes for espresso.
That afternoon was the highlight of my trip; an excursion with a guide to the Tuscany wine region and two different family run Wineries.  I had a level I sommeliers course on chianti and super Tuscans. 5 hours later I was back at the hotel and in bed.  If you are a wine aficionado, you must do the wine country excursion.  Multiple tastings as well as olive oil and balsamic tastings. More memorable than another church in Florence.
Tuesday morning I joined a walking tour from Artviva, a really super excursion company in many location of Italy.  There were 5 of us on this 3 1/2 tour; all Americans.  The first couple were from Houston and remembered me from the The Houston Club.
Of course it was raining the entire morning. Fortunately I had my weather proof clothing.  Lots of history.  This particular tour had no atraction visits, but Artviva does offer tours with”skip the line”
I had my last Italian meal of linguine with fresh seafood in a oil and tomato broth.

Later that afternoon it was a quick drive to the Florence airport for my hour flight to Barcelona




1 comment:

  1. Pics of Florence look great! And, I've always enjoyed walking around Rome. Looks like your having a grand time....and the Italian food...amazing!!

    ReplyDelete