Thursday, November 9, 2023

Lisbon


 Lisbon is the capital of Portugal and is situated at the mouth of the Rio Tagus  which actually originates in Spain.  The river empties into Atlantic ocean and thus is the home of a large marine industry which happens to be the 2nd largest industry in Portugal.   What is the largest, well that would be tourism.  

Since tourism is my new profession and since I have never visited, this felt like the time to book a premium seat and make my way.  It also happens to be on the way to Morocco which actually is the main destination of my journey.  More on Morocco in my next note.

I arrived after an overnight flight on Air France with a 55 minute connection @ CDG.  I cant really recommend that itinerary . It would have been 90 min if the flight had left IAH on-time.

To the hotel and I picked up a SIM card for my phone so I would have all the portable data I require for my Google Maps. First evening was spent in a British Gin restaurant where I dined on beer and Octopus.  I don’t like Gin. I do really like fresh octopus marinated in EVOO.

Tues, I felt fresh and spent the entire  day on 2 different Hop On/Off bus routes.  If you follow my travels you will recall that I am a big fan of these for the fist day In a new town. I don’t get off, I use them for the narrated tour of the city. I didn’t realize how spread out and diverse Lisbon is.  Modern building at the site of the World Expo of 1998, to the cruise terminal on the bay front of old Portugal where the cathedral and Royal Palace overlook the ocean.

Wednesday I was picked up at my hotel and joined 6 other Americans for a day trip to Sintra and Cascais. Sintra is the home of one of the oldest fortresses that the Moors established when conquering the Iberian peninsula.  From there we drove along the coast to the Cabo da Roca which is the most western point in Europe. Then on to Cascais for lunch on fresh Cod and a relaxing afternoon stroll along the waterfront.

The food in Portugal is seafood based with an abundance of Atlantic Cod and Octopus and more pastry shops than banks.

The next day I relaxed, did laundry and got ready for the next leg.


Click here for Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment