Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dubai

May 29-31 We awoke Friday am in Dubai. It is extremely hot. 90 F as we departed the boat at 9 am. Reminds me of Vegas. John and Sandra joined me in a cab ride to the hotel which is in the Marina District. It takes about 30 min at express way speeds. This place in much larger than I imagined..After dropping my bags, we picked up a Metro pass and rode to the Mall of the Emirates. Amazing place, they have every US brand and then some. Even have an enclosed Ski Slope with SNOW. After a couple hours there we went to the Madinat Jumeirah, a beautiful high end mall with waterways and had some beers and eventually dinner. I returned to my hotel and the Lopez's went back to the ship as they are continuing the cruise for the next month eventually ending in Shanghai The following morning prior to John and Sandra sailing, we walked the old city. The Gold Market or Souk is the largest market of gold in the world. I was tempted to pick up some 1 oz bars as there is very little mark up on the price. This town is very much like Las Vegas without the gaming. It really developed in the 60's when the exploration for oil began in the Emirates. The city is built out of the desert and everything is very modern and well designed. The population is over 2 Million so that is twice as large as Vegas. It was so hot that afternoon that I couldn't get across the sand at my beach and settled on the swimming pool. The final morning I took the Metro to the Burg Khalifa and the Dubai Mall. To ride up the Burg to the 124 floor cost about $30 but the tickets must be purchased for a time and they were sold out till tomorrow. I could buy a $150 ticket to the 148 level, but decided money could be better spent. Well after a afternoon nap in the health club, I headed to the airport for my 24 hour journey home via Doha, Qatar.

PHOTOS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment