Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 20 Sunday July 29


Now I have become pretty sold on these bike tours.  So I found the only tour in Salzburg, the Frauline Maria bicycle tour of Salzburg.  By now having done like 6 bicycle tours on this trip, I was getting rather complacent and didn't really ask any questions.  Just showed up and got on a bike and we were off. At the first stop,  Our guide Jonas, talked incestatnly about the filming of the 1965 movie "The Sound of Music". Aparently, the city only licenses this group to talk about the movie and its production, cause all the other tour companies do the history.  So whether I wanted it or not, for the next 4 hours, I saw and heard more info on Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and the VonTrapps than I can remember.  I did enjoy the cycling and the scenery when we got out of the city.   Met a man who left the US working for a company called "Peregrine Financial".  Found out while traveling last week, that his company had gone under due to embezellment and the SEC had to come in.   I haven't heard from my office in a couple of days.  Better check in.

I finished the afternoon with Sausage,sauerkraut, and bier in a authenic Bavarian Biergarten.   Then  decided to hope on the bus and go out to the airport to visit the "Red Bull" Hanger 7 exhibit.   Apparently the guy who bought the formula, and branded it was from Salzberg.  He sees himself as a Richard Branson type and has a multimillion dollar hanger,exhibit open to the public at the airport.  

As I was waiting for the bus to return to city center, I got soaked from one of the hourly rain showers and at that point began to question my logic in hotel choices.  You see, I had not booked the most expensive hotels on my trip.  Location seems to be the primary factor in the pricing of hotel in Europe, not necessarily the amenties.  Most important to me was the bedding, A/C and wireless internet.  My only criteria for location was that  a metro, bus stop be fairly close.   I limited myself to a 100 E, and up to this day, I had done a good job.   But Salzburg is different.  There is no Metro.  They have a pretty good bus system, but the perpherial lines run q 30" on Sunday which was a big issue for me.   So I messed up in Salzburg and was in the wrong place.  The helpful gals made up for the location issue.
PHOTOS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment