Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 6. July 7

Day 6 
  Another morning swim and then it was off to the Carmel St. Market.   This is the oldest market place in Tel Aviv.  A long pedestrian only street, shaded and lined with vendors selling everything from incredible looking middle eastern pastry to olives, dates and nuts. Also T shirts with Coca Cola printed on Hebrew, so I bought one for my 11 y/o nephew.  As I was watching one of the vendors preparing food, he struck up a conversation with me.  When I told him I was from Texas, he called me a red neck.  Before this volley was over, I was sitting at his counter and he fixed me a "pita kebab ".  This is basically 4 small burgers served in pita with about 6 different toppings and sauces.  It was the best thing I ate in Israel.  They don't seem to have much meat in Israel but this solved my craving.  Full of energy, I set off to find the Yitzhak Rabin museum.  It was on the other side of town, but some young solders at the bus stop gave me directions.  It was a great story of this wonderful leader of Israel who was assassinated by a radical Jew.  It is also the history of political Israel from the beginning of the 20th century to today. The museum closed behind me and a group of about 30 young soldiers, both men and girls who couldn't have been over 25 walked out with me.  They all wanted to know about the US and especially Texas.  One of the young ladies waited at the bus stop with me and told the driver where I was going.  These kids are really amazing.  They are so polite and helpful.  Not so for the bus drivers.
That evening I had a salad at an outdoor restaurant on the beach called "Masada" of all things. Back to the hotel to pack for the next morning's trip.

PHOTOS HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment