Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 6 Sun-July 15

 Up early and off to the Hauptobanoff for my first train ride.  Now everyone gets around Berlin on the U or S which all connect to the Banhoffs.  Everything is on the honor system.  There are no attendants or turnstiles, you buy a ticket or pass and get on. This was the first time I cheated and just got on.  I mean it was 8 am on Sunday morning.  It was empty until the first stop, when 3 people in uniform got onto my car which only had one other luggage toting gal.  They came up to me and asked for my ticket which I did't buy.  I tried the "I am an American and don't understand you."  It didn't work in Munich 42 years ago and it was working that morning.  As I was surrounded on the moving train by all 3 Subway Cops, one of them asked if I was on the way to take a train.  I was and when I showed them my train ticket, I was told that you can ride free to the train station if you have a ticket.  Ah,  I escaped the Germans again.  On the EC 43 Berlin-Warsaw Express.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS

1 comment:

  1. Here in Paris you can take the risk but a 70 Euro on the spot fine if caught. You got lucky!! I've been stopped 3 times in Paris but have been legal.

    ReplyDelete