Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 7 Mon July 16

Woke at the Westin Warsaw; decided I needed a little Western influenance.   CNBC on the TV early in the am and I tthought I was home.  Coffee and it was off to Nowy Swirt.  The Rodeo Drive of Warsaw.  No Bently's or Roll's.  Just city buses.. Met my guide Gavan after lunch for a bicycle totur of the Warsaw Ghetto.  Now there is very little left of the original structures.  The few Jews remaining at the end of 1942 decided to go out fighting.  There was an uprising and the entire ghetto was leveled by the Germans after a month of fighting my the Jewish inhabitants.  The area has been rebuilt but there are several memorials and a piece of the original wall left.  It is amazing to consider that at the beginning of the war, 1/3 of the population of Warsaw were Jewish.  By the time of the uprising...late 1942....450,000 people had been exterminated by the Germans That evening I erased my mind with a couple of local Vodka's and a table full of 30year olds.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS

No comments:

Post a Comment